What To Do When Your Canada Study Permit Expires


One of the most important documents you will need before entering Canada as an international student is the Canadian Study Permit. This document allows you to study in Canada for at least six months in any subject area.

You must apply for a study permit if you plan to attend an elementary, secondary or language school. Even if you are studying at a university or college, the program or course of study must last at least 6 months.

Before you apply, you must have a letter of acceptance from a recognized educational institution in Canada. This means that you must first find a school that has been approved by the government of your chosen province to accept international students.

After you have received acceptance to a program from a university, you can submit your application for a study permit and student visa, which you will need to stay in Canada.


Once your program or studies are completed and your study permit expires, it would be illegal to continue to stay in Canada. You may need to apply for a study permit extension or a work permit;

You have the following options:

  • Apply for a Work Permit: If you qualify for a Postgraduate Work Permit after graduation, you can apply for it.
  • Apply for a study extension if you wish to continue your studies in Canada.
  • You can also apply for a change of status and then stay in Canada as a visitor.

When you should apply for an extension

If you do not apply for your study permit before it expires, you can apply to reinstate your status within 90 days of expiry. It is advisable to apply for renewal well in advance, at least one month before your status expires, to make the process quicker and easier.

If you apply before your status expires, you may remain in the country until a decision is made on your application, provided the conditions of your study permit remain unchanged.

How to apply

  • Go to the IRCC website at; click on the check mark for the language preference
  • Click on “Immigration.”
  • Click on “renew your study permit.”
  • Decide how you want to apply: on the internet or on paper; online is usually better.
  • Fill out the IMM 5709 application form; depending on the operating system your PC uses, you may need to tap the hyperlink and download the form to your computer to get all the required information and documentation
  • Create your MyCIC account, which you will need for online applications and where you will upload all your documents.
  • Pay the required processing fees
  • Submit an application to begin processing.
  • When you receive your study permit, please submit a duplicate through your MyHumber account.

Related Articles

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button