How to Move Your Family to Canada on a Student Visa


Separating international students from their spouses/life partners has proven difficult in recent years. Canadian Immigration has recognized this fact and made it possible to bring the family to Canada on a student visa. They have introduced a system where the families of international students can join them during their short stay in Canada.

This means that your spouse can accompany you for the duration of your studies. Your spouse is then eligible to apply for an open work permit. With the open work permit, you can work in any field you wish as long as your student visa is valid.

Dependent children are also allowed as immigration to Canada is for family reunification. They have seen the importance of family around.

International students with spouses or common-law partners.

Here, your spouse/cohabiting partner can apply for an open work permit. For the duration of your studies, your spouse can work either full-time or part-time for anyone in Canada without the need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

If you are lucky enough to get a job after graduation, your spouse can extend their work permit.

International students with children

International students who are studying full-time may bring their children with them. Children under the age of 19 are considered minors and may accompany the international student as long as the student visa is valid. Children older than 19 are not eligible for the same privilege.

Only children who are mentally or physically incapacitated are granted this request. It is considered that these children cannot make ends meet financially and therefore need their parents. In addition, these children need the special attention of their parents. Dependent children have the right to attend any public school free of charge while studying.

NOTE: If a parent loses status (i.e., loses their student visa), the children and spouse may lose their respective privileges. In other words, the spouses lose work authorization. In addition, the child loses free education.
Application Procedure


There are two ways to apply for the invitation;

1. the accepted international student submits the application at the same time as the study permit.

2. the student applies for the study permit and provides complete information about the family that will accompany the student.
The required documents are;

Proof of enrollment of the student;
A letter of invitation for the relative;
Proof of kinship with the international student, i.e. a marriage certificate or birth certificate is required;
And finally, a copy of the valid study permit.

NOTE: The relative must prove that they have sufficient financial resources to support themselves in Canada.

Can I stay in Canada after my studies?

As an international student, your chances of obtaining permanent residency increase. Immigration programs will also be available for you. Your or your spouse’s language learning experience may also be an advantage to your remaining in Canada.

If you decide to immigrate to Canada permanently after completing your studies, you can do so through the federal Express Entry system.

You should increase your chances of obtaining an ITA if your spouse and yourself submit your profiles to the Express Entry pool.


Related Articles


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button